Research data are (digital) data, that are being generated during the research process. Types of research data are dependent on the specific research field. They can e.g. be text, audio and image data, as well as questionnaires, statistics and spreadsheets.
Research data management describes the process of managing research data during their lifecycle. The lifecycle of research data includes:
- Planning, especially the establishment of a data management plan
- Organisation and documentation of the data
- Data processing and storage during the research process
- Compliance to legal and ethical principles and regulations
- Publication, reuse and archiving of research data